Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Blog in a Billion

By Philippa Bradbury

The Number 42 is purple? How intriguing. The rather eccentric and allegorical name caught my eye immediately and I quickly followed the instruction, “Ctrl+Click”, and found myself transported to another world. The members of the group have formed an intoxicating maze of journalism topics and I found my eyes drawn to their array of headlines such as “What a load of Twitter!” and “When did beauty need a beast to be fashionable?”. Their posts portray their different personalities perfectly and, let us be honest; they are the most articulate bunch of girls! I was overwhelmed with the use of phrases such as “through beads of sweat and strained breathing” and “her Hooker high heels on display create a dubious persona”. It was hugely refreshing to see the English Language used so masterfully and I hungrily read on, and on, and on.

I was particularly engaged by their rather philosophical take on life and how the writers questioned what was going on in the world around them. They looked at people and the role they play, such as the infamous “fence sitter” who thinks that they are, in every way, brilliant. They seem to have taken new angles on what the word “Journalism” implies and have turned arbitrary observations into newsworthy articles. Needless to say, I am very impressed by their originality.

One can almost say that the blog welcomes a reader. With the bright colours and posts that seem to address the reader with the inclusion of “you”, one feels as though they wrote it just for, well, you. Indoctrination, I tell you. Or is it propaganda? Oh, what the hell, I will ask the writers of this blog, they are bound to know.

Enjoyment seems to shine through their blog and they have taken every effort to make it an opinionated, original and very “quirky” read. Good for them. To employ some of the writer’s words, “Fucks sakes, this blog is good!”

No comments:

Post a Comment