Friday, October 9, 2009

New Friends equals a New Mind


Starting journalism at Rhodes had me unexpected for the transformation my mind was going to be out through. I have never before thought of my self as a closed minded person or someone who has culture or race preference. Although all though my schooling career I have gone to very culturally and racially mixed schools, I have never actually had a mixed group of friends. Being a white girl I had white girl friends all having generally the same backgrounds.
Arriving at Rhodes scribbling down my name on the journalism register the first day was a new start for my thoughts. I noticed that there was a variation of people of different races in the room. The first journalism course with Rod Amner was based on race. As the days and weeks progressed my mind began to open to what the world could become for me. All along I thought that I had white only friends because we had so much in common. I thought that I was not friends with people of other races because I thought that I would not have the same interests in common. The course was changing my mind set. I was beginning to realise that I was being closed minded thinking this way. I know can say I see no race and it surprises me when actually notice race
Group work in journalism saw no boundaries what so ever. We had many chances to read other journalism students work. The writing I read was so different to anything I had read before. When I read there was no evidence of race. Every piece of writing was so different to another. The writing saw no race boundaries. All it is is the creative expression of people with different stories. The people were not different to one another because of their race, but because of experiences, emotions, views and opinions.
Rhodes in a place that is neutral to most. Students attending uni here are not for one place with on outlook and from one class. There is flourishing diversity. There is no way that a person who is here could keep their minds closed and refuse to immerse themselves in this new way of life. No matter how open minded and ‘new south African’ a person thinks they were, when coming to Rhodes reading the variation of creative writing, the mind is stretched across they sky in order to find the racially blended world we were meant to live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment