Friday, October 30, 2009

Going for Gratifying Gold





By Caelyn Woolward

For this assignment we were required to immerse ourselves in an unfamiliar environment. One thing I can say very proudly is that although I have been in Grahamstown for just nine short and wonderful months, I believe that I have experienced quite a bit for the average first year. Of course I have no evidence to back up this claim but the many late nights and the hours of non-stop have to count for some thing. Despite being here for a while, doing community service, I am ashamed to say was not one of my priorities on my “to do” list.

When I was given the opportunity to help paint Noncedo primary school I decided that since it was nearing the end of the year I should pay my dues and do something worthwhile. At the time this was more of a duty, after that day it became a privilege. Noncedo Primary, located in the middle of Joza is one of those schools plagued by gangs and violence. Most of the children live in dire conditions and the school is their only refuge, despite being next to a shebeen.

We arrived at the school almost an hour late as a result of car trouble and because of the complicated task of having to navigate through the winding and dirt-ridden streets of Joza. For almost an hour we painted the school, picked up dirt and litter around the border and proceeded to help the give the children juice and, chips and biscuits, for which they were very grateful. After that is when the fun really started. Playing with those is one of the most productive things I have done all year. Not only did I have fun but I also saw just how much they appreciated the attention being given to them. All the volunteers were besieged with requests for piggy back rides and ring-a-rosy.

When it was time to leave we found ourselves surrounded by little kids not wanting us to move. The funny thing was, we did not want to leave either. It was so rewarding to see just how much a simple hug could mean for these kids. There was always that moment of weariness when we saw men coming out of the shebeen, dogs and cows in the road, women shouting at their children and little kids running across the road yet we would do it all again in a heartbeat. It was not the safest place to be but it was the most gratifying. Going back to Noncedo is definitely on my agenda for next year



No comments:

Post a Comment