Sunday, October 4, 2009

My name is Caelyn Woolward and I am probably going to be the last person to post my blog because that is just how I am and I cant change the way I am even though I have tried. I am a first year journalism student at Rhodes University. I do not like complicated writing but I do not like boring stories either, Rhodes has taught me how to find a balance between the two.
I have learnt many things at the Rhodes School of Journalism in the short time that I have been here. I have learnt that the ability to express oneself is never an easy task. It is even harder to do so through writing. Finding the right words and saying the right things can become very tricky, yet putting too much thought into this process does not help either. Writers and thereby journalists have the ability to find the words that fit and relate it to a situation in a way that makes readers feel that they are in that situation. Journalists have imagination and readers are able to absorb this imagination through the writing.
As an aspiring journalist I view the world through a lens of words. I look at objects, at nature and at people and attempt to find words which would best describe it. I experience feelings and try to think of ways to express these feelings to other people.
Being a journalism student has taught me that language is universal and people may not always understand what you are saying but they can understand where you are coming from. There are many layers to our world. The question is not whether you will go into these layers the question is how far will you go.
A good writer can write about anything from fashion and art to war and Hollywood. Knowledge on these topics is no doubt encouraged but when you are able learn and uncover layers to find the best story, that is when writing about something you have just learnt not only becomes exciting for you to write but also interesting for people to read.
Being a journalist means having the ability to make the most boring story seem interesting. You cannot use the kind of language that academics use in a newspaper and expect readers to find your story interesting. Big words and complicated sentences is not what journalism is about. Many people may scoff and think “What does an 18 year old know about writing?” but the truth is that no matter your age or experience, you should know what makes a story interesting.
Keeping a balance between a news story and your personality is hard, it is always good to remember that readers have their won personalities and therefore their own opinions. The same goes for blogging. Even though blogging gives a writer more freedom to express their views and opinion, writers need to ensure that their personality does not suffocate the story.
Right now, I see the world as an interesting place with lots of possibilities.
I see endless excitement and achievement but I also see heartache and hardships. However, I believe that journalists can change this. Change can only happen when people know about what needs changing and they can only know when the stories are brought to them. It is our responsibility to find those stories and take it to the people who can make a real difference, those people are the readers. Maybe I am a bit optimistic, maybe in a few years time when I am a working journalist I will have a more cynical view of the world but right now is what counts and if I can express what I am feeling and what I see right now then that is an achievement on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment